Monday, May 22, 2006

WFC

Watford were promoted to the Premiership yesterday. A year or two ago this would have been a cause of tremendous joy for me. Unfortunately, I haven’t really been supporting the club this season, so I’m missing the party.

There are various reasons why I stopped going. The main thing was because I got the hump about various off-the-pitch decisions made last year, but there were plenty of others. But I don’t intend to try and explain them here, as one of the things that has depressed me most about the whole thing is that the more I tried to explain things, the more everyone thought I was an idiot, and the more alienated I felt from the whole football thing. I almost certainly am an idiot, especially given the way things are turned out. But I’m still too proud or too stubborn to suddenly become a massive fan again just because things have turned out nicely and I’ve been proved wrong about all the apocalyptic predictions I’ve made.

Congratulations to them anyway, and particularly to my brother, who kept the faith and will be watching Premiership football next season. Meantime, like all other ‘not proper’ football fans, I’m looking forward to the World Cup, especially as I now have two teams to support…

1 comment:

Customer said...

yay world cup!

I had to pretend to my dad I'd watched all of the champions league final (i.e., Barca) when in fact I only saw the first half. Football makes idiots of us all.