Saturday, June 24, 2006

Films: God bless Mark Kermode

Hurrah for the modern world! One of my very favourite pastimes was always listening to Mark Kermode’s film reviews on Radio Five on Friday afternoons. Obviously I didn’t get that many chances to do this, as I was normally at work on Fridays, but I was always a big fan (and sorry Smuj, but yes, he too went to my school, I’m afraid).

Now, however, thanks to the new craze for ‘podcasting’, I can listen to Mr Kermode even though I am not only at work on a Friday, but in a foreign country too. Clearly, it took the invention of a ridiculous term to make the BBC realise that they could save their radio shows in mp3 format and stick it online for my listening pleasure, but I’m damn glad they have. I understand that the BBC is still in two minds about such downloads, so I urge my license-fee-paying friends back in the UK to pay even more so that the BBC gets even bigger and better and the programmes I want to listen to are always available online. Please!

No comments: