A couple of months ago, with the temperature hanging resolutely below 10 degrees and winter still far too close for comfort, advertising boards across town sprouted posters proclaiming ‘Kyiv – City of Flowers’.Now I don’t know about you, but this kind of stuff doesn’t really do it for me. Maybe it’s my English understatement, but I figure that generally it’s easier and more convincing if people make up their own minds about such things, and that such self-aggrandising slogans imply a certain insecurity, or even desperation. For example, unless I dreamt it, when driving into Grimsby you are greeted by a sign saying ‘Grimsby – Fish Capital of Europe,’ or something very similar.
Let me illustrate my point in two ways. Firstly, on a trip back to London about a month ago, my wife and I were both struck by the fact that there were flowers everywhere: by the roadside, in the middle of roundabouts, in people’s gardens, in parks, and so on. We probably saw more flowers driving around Ealing than in the whole of Kyiv…
Secondly, a couple of days ago I was strolling along the road where I took all these photos, vulytsa Gorkogo. In a 20-minute walk I managed to see 7-8 of these posters. Guess how many (real!) flowers I saw? That’s right. Not one.
The City of Flowers posters are only part of a wider phenomenon that I find bemusing and slightly disconcerting: social advertising. As well as these posters, in the same 20-minute walk I also passed a number of other similarly mindless posters, such as ‘My Kyiv!’ and ‘My Ukraine!’ (see the posts below - it seems I can't put more than one photo per blog, so I uploaded them separately).
Of course, I am not your average resident of Ukraine, but I find it all a little simplistic and cheesy, and it makes me want to laugh, and then sigh. However, I can only assume that market research has been done that proves that this kind of social advertising does succeed in filling a fair proportion of Ukrainian hearts with pride for their city and motherland. But even that doesn’t exactly reassure me. It still feels a bit Soviet to me, appealing to people’s patriotism with meaningless words and clichéd images.
I wonder what the budget for designing and putting up all these posters is. It may not be that massive, but I still reckon it could be better spent. Take for example Photo 3, a rather straggly entreaty to ‘love Ukraine’, draped over a busy road near our house where Olga was hit by a car last year (not seriously, fortunately). Personally, I think the money would have been better spent on traffic calming measures – or at least on repainting the zebra crossing more regularly, as it is often invisible.
For a change, though, I want to finish on a bright note. It doesn’t have to be this way, as we Kievans found out last year. Instead of the tedious rubbish above, somebody or other decided to try a different tack: humour! With declining birth-rates and high mortality, Ukraine potentially faces demographic meltdown (as does Russia). In this context, last summer’s advertising campaign was a masterstroke. The caption below reads: ‘There’s not enough footballers in this country – let’s get loving!’ (Photo 4)

1 comment:
I should indulge in a bit of guerilla gardening and start sowing seeds. Might make the posters seem more ridiculous. It is Soviet, unfortunately. The people making the decisions now are the ones who started their careers under the Soviets. There's probably a parks department dedicated to moving pots of flowers around to wherever the city bosses are going, so that they think the whole of Kiev is in bloom.
Post a Comment