Jobs
Have now been working at my new job for a month. Can’t really say too much about it, except that it’s a period of enormous transition, as on the same day as I joined, a new director was appointed, and everyone’s still trying to work out what is going on. But it’s certainly pretty interesting, and I’ve already been interviewed live on BBC World Service as an expert (no sniggering at the back) on Ukrainian politics, so it keeps me on my toes.
The last month was rather stressful, as I was also finishing off various papers for other organisations I have worked for, as mentioned earlier, at the same time as being mentally overloaded by the new job. This is the main reason for my periods of absence from contact.
Weather
Insane. Until about 10 days ago, it rained and rained and rained and rained and rained. Very heavily. I was finally forced to admit that umbrellas are not actually the devil’s work, but rather useful indeed, after an amusing-only-in-hindsight incident that involved my extremely wet body being in one city and the keys to my flat being in another.
It then got extremely hot and sunny. I’d just got used to it and decided not to bring my umbrella to work on Thursday, when the mad rain started again. I now want to buy lots of umbrellas, so I have one at home, one at work, one in the car (when we get one), one that folds down to the size of a credit card and can be kept in my wallet, etc…
Travel
At the moment I am not yet fully registered, so I need to get out of this place every 90 days. I was starting to wonder if I needed to take myself over the border one weekend sometime soon, but fortunately, an opportunity unexpectedly presented itself this week. I am thus off to Warsaw next week to a conference about the European Neighbourhood Policy, where I intend to sip cocktails with important people, to explain to cynical ‘Europeans’ that though Ukraine still has quite a lot of spots she’s really very nice when you get to know her, and of course, to watch the two semi-finals. Ferrero Rocher all round!
Saturday, July 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Nice one on the new job! But why the secrecy - can't you even say what it is?
I was wondering why you hadn't mentioned Watford's promotion and the World cup. I was worried you had been subsituted by some Grinny type robot or something. Then you went and mentioned Ned's which makes me suspicious that you are acting too Duncan-like...
That was me by the way.
John.
hello dunc,
been meaning to say well done on the job for ages-so well done on the job! and congratualtions on being an international radio star too!
Lu xx
Hey dude,
Boring blog-point: if you make a link but you don't put http:// before the www it goes wonky.
Boring Al-point - it's been raining like a bitch here today too. And I want to sip cocktails in warsaw!!
Boring blog point taken and acted upon. Cheers
As for the cocktail, I even had a martini with a little olive in the bottom. Oh baby!
Post a Comment