Thursday, January 31, 2008

Only seven years late

I'm only seven years late, but I've finally got round to listening to Wilco's 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot', which is generally considered to be some sort of classic. I liked previous Wilco albums but for some reason I never got round to listening to YHF when it came out.

It's ok, but I don't quite see what the fuss is about.

But what I wanted to ask is this: are they taking the piss?

'Heavy Metal Drummer' is such an obvious rip-off of Pavement's 'Cut Your Hair' that it's either a clever tribute to Mr Malkmus or it's just rubbish, and I can't decide which.

While 'Pot Kettle Black' has just stolen the riff from The Cure's 'Inbetween Days' 100%.

Am I missing the joke or something, or are they just shameless rip-off merchants? Or have they never heard of Pavement and The Cure?! I must be told...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Am I missing the joke or something, or are they just shameless rip-off merchants? Or have they never heard of Pavement and The Cure?! "

Yes.

Or no.

Whichever you prefer.