A couple of days ago I went to buy some razor blades. I took my colleague with me as there’s lots of concerns about ‘adulteration’, i.e. selling dodgy fake products as brand name goods and pocketing the difference, exchanging half the product for something cheaper, that type of thing.
As it happened, the razor blades were legit. But I did at one point think I was taking a risk when the shop assistant assured me they were made by Proctor & Gambler.
I always think it’s interesting how you just take names as read, you don’t really think about what they mean. It never even occurred to me that Proctor & Gamble contains the word ‘gamble’. It’s the same with band names. I don’t think of a body of water in the desert when somebody talks about Oasis, nor do I picture somebody with a tuning device in place of their face when I listen to Radiohead. Not that stops teenagers everywhere from spending months and months arguing about band names…
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment