Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Coming out of the tunnel

I haven’t written anything on here for a long time. There are two reasons for this. The first is simply that I didn’t have much internet access until a few days ago, when I got that genius invention, broadband, installed at home.

The second is that, as I guess it tends to at times, life was getting in the way. The last few months have quite often been like going down a long, dark tunnel with lots of kinks and only the promise of light at the end. Yes, I know this isn’t exactly an original simile, but I’m still quite tired, ok, so let me be…

Anyway, the point is that for most of the last 3-5 months, it’s been a case of just putting my head down, getting on with things in a situation where I was less than happy, and waiting for the milestones to pass, one by one, until all of the stressful things that were happening all at once were behind. And now, I am happy to report, they are. We’ve moved to Newcastle, are renting a very nice flat here, Olga’s started her new job, and I’m at home dealing with all the day-to-day stuff (including, would you believe, most of the cooking), agreeing to odd bits of work from old employers and generally doing lots of things that for months I hadn’t had the time or strength to deal with, such as answering emails, backing up my computer, reading books, watching TV, etc etc.

So, things are clearing up. Of course, whether my blog will continue to be of interest to anyone now that I am no longer in deepest darkest Ukraine is anyone’s guess, though in the end I didn’t really manage to write as much about Ukraine as I had intended to. And Newcastle can probably get quite deep and dark when it wants to, I imagine…

Anyway, here to make up for my lack of blogging for the last month is a bumper selection of the things I meant to write about in that period, following my traditional and oft-quoted maxim ‘better late than never’.

No comments: