Monday, October 16, 2006

Defragmentation

After a bit of a scare when my laptop got very grumpy over the weekend, I spent Sunday night giving it a bit of much needed tlc, and also starting to back things up (which I'd meant to do for at least 3 months).

Part of the laptop beauty spa treatment was a good old defragmentation. Though actually, I have to say that I think I got more enjoyment out of the experience than the computer did. I don't know whether I'm the only one, but I find something hynoptically beautiful about watching the way the defragmentation process is represented on the diagram. The upper box is full of jumbles of red, blue, occasional strips of unmoveable green, and odd shards of white. The lower box begins the same, but slowly out of this chaos, order starts to emerge. Red bits jump around and eventually disappear, larger chunks of blue appear, and real empty spaces emerge within it all. Just watching all these strips jumping gently around is really rather calming.

If only life were like that, I was thinking last night. If only it was easy to just work out which bits of your life were unmoveable greens, and then tidy up the rest, getting rid of the fragmented bits, compressing the bits of your life which had got spread too thin or frayed, and opening up new white space on your internal hard drive allowing you to work more effectively.

Well, that's what I was thinking last night, anyway, but I shan't stretch the simile further, you get the point :) But yes, a mental defragmentation could do a lot of good at the moment, methinks...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or the psychoanalyst talking a walk, who was greeted with "Good Morning!" by a passer-by. "Now what did he mean by that?" thought the psychoanalyst.

It is possible to defragment your life. Just remember Buddha's parable that everyone has 82 problems. Solve one, another one pops up. However, some of us have 83 problems. The 83rd problem is not wanting to have 82 other problems.

Herr Kapitän Duncan said...

touché, or as we say in Russian, да уж!
Nonetheless, I think the defragmentation simile is appropriate - defragmentation isn't about deleting everything and starting from a blank state, it's about getting everything in more order so that things are more manageable.
When there's a pretty big jumble going on in your own head - that's the 83rd problem, I guess...

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff!
I would also need some kind of defragmentation (it's a new word in English for me, thanx Dunc!) though I would be happy only if I could reach the 83rd problem :-)

By the way, 24 degrees in sunny Spain...

Anonymous said...

Hey Dude,

You will not be surprised to learn that I too dream of being able to defrag my life. Mostly just because it would be nice to know what are the unmovable blocks and what are the bad clusters (as it were). But the old version of defrag was more hypnotic as you could actually see the blocks being moved. Actually it would make a great screensaver!

If you like defragmenting you might want to try the odd chkdisk, clear out your prefetch folder, or even the checking all your programs and drivers are up to date! Or that holiest of rites - complete reformat and reinstallation of everything.

John.